Dates: 06.06.2024 – 13.06.2024
Place: Paola, Italy
Description: Beaches are not only popular recreational spaces but also crucial ecosystems that face various environmental threats. This program aims to engage youth workers in simple yet impactful environmental activities focused on beach conservation. It links these efforts to the broader context of EU democratic values, such as participation, responsibility, and community action. The initiative is designed to be accessible and easy to implement, making it suitable for youth workers with varying levels of experience and resources.
The main objective of “Beach Guardians” is to provide youth workers with straightforward and practical tools to engage young people in beach conservation activities, while also educating them about the importance of democratic participation in environmental stewardship. The program seeks to inspire youth to take simple, actionable steps towards preserving their local beach environments, fostering a sense of community responsibility and active citizenship aligned with the values of the European Union.
- Beach Clean-Up Drives: Organize hands-on beach clean-up events. Participants learn about the impact of litter on marine life and the ecosystem while actively cleaning the beach.
- On-Site Educational Workshops: Conduct workshops right on the beach covering topics like marine ecosystems, the impact of pollution, and sustainable practices. These sessions can include real-time observation of the beach environment.
- Citizen Science Projects on the Shore: Engage participants in hands-on citizen science projects, like litter data collection, directly on the beach.
- Beach Art and Awareness Campaigns: Create art installations using beach litter or natural materials found on-site to raise awareness about environmental conservation.
- Social Media Advocacy Workshops: Utilize the beach setting for workshops on using digital platforms to advocate for beach conservation, including creating impactful content with beach backdrops.
- Recreational Activities and Beach Games: Incorporate fun and educational beach sports and activities, highlighting the importance of maintaining clean and safe beaches.
- Reflection and Action Planning by the Sea: Sessions on the beach where participants reflect on their experiences and plan future actions or projects, inspired by the serene beach setting.
Working language: English
Costs: Travel expenses from Germany to Italy and return will be reimbursed up to max. 220 EUR.
Contribution: To participate in this project, participants should share the values and support the mission of Copernicus Berlin. With the contributions of the selected participants Copernicus Berlin can create new opportunities. In the application form there is the possibility to choose the amount of the contribution. With a high contribution, participants can present their strong support and might be selected quickly. Contributions of 200 EUR or more are eligible for a donation certificate from Copernicus Berlin. For information on how to receive a donation certificate or other benefits, please click here: copernicusberlin.org/donation
Accommodation: The accomodation costs are covered. During the days of the training course participants will be accommodated in a 4-star hotel Villaggio Bahja.
Meal: The costs for 3 times meal are covered.
Travel: You can also stay 2 days longer or arrive 2 days earlier and explore the area at your own expense.
Registration is open until 29th of February.
More questions: firstname.lastname@example.org